HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what a concept.. using logic and facts to select a rifle
Old 02-07-2019, 06:29 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

my question might be, if the shot is a low odds , poor shot, why take it at all?
is filling a tag worth risking loosing/wounding a trophy animal?
I hunt with many caliber rifles, I tend to take a rifle that I feel will cover most all shots I WOULD take on the targeted game animal
I don't take poor shots I DON"T have to fill a tag to have had a great hunt?
also there is way more to shooting /killing than caliber
this real fast can turn into a pissing match
as there is WHAT bullet, some smaller caliber bullets will do better than others, same with larger caliber

then add in after decades of shooting and training shooters
the FACT< that many folks DON"T handle recoil very well, and as such will flinch and miss way more due to fearing that recoil!
SO< IMO< again, I think it should come down to WHAT caliber is up to the task of the targeted game animal in the hunt that you can shoot WELL< and KNOW your limits and the limits of said caliber!

this reminds me of when folks go and BUY a big large caliber rifle that TV/magazines all hype up as being able to kill at extreme ranges
when the shooter has ZERO skills to shoot far
but THINKS due to they bought"X" rifle scope , NOW they see a trophy far off, past any distance they ever shot at before, BUT THINK< due to they have "X" rifle scope, all they need to do is fire away and they will have there trophy down!

SO< sorry for getting off topic, but, at same time
WHAT IF 's like this are just this, to me!
one really I think has to ask themselves what are THERE limits and skills, and HOW bad do they feel they NEED to fill a tag! to take poor shots or not?