HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a 30-30 scope
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 10:20 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

I suppose I would caution you to not go cheap. Then I'd ask you to define cheap.

If you buy a cheap scope I promise you that it will fail you eventually. It will. It might take fifteen seasons, but it will poop out on you at some point. So you have to weigh the value of your available cash, and your expectations.

If you can afford a $100 scope.... Then wait another month or two and you can afford a $200 scope. That should get you into the entry level for some Nikon's, leupolds, redfields etc. Especially if you watch for sales or rebates.

There is nothing more frustrating than sitting in the woods on a rainy foggy day, but you're out there anyway cause you need to fill a tag, and when the game animal steps out and you pull that scope up it's just solid fog in your lense. Or you look through your scope and somehow your crosshairs are making an X shape instead of a proper cross.

Theres a big gap between what I consider cheap scopes, like the package sealed Walmart specials and the acceptable entry level scopes that can be had for around $200 if you watch for the deals.

-Jake