HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season
Old 01-16-2019, 04:54 PM
IronWill
Spike

Default Hey Fiddy, First timer?

Ok, so you want to go hunting... if you think Old Timer was ... well a cranky WWII+Korean war vet with arthritis in the late 70's is a bit more "colorful". But, hey, I am a vet, I STILL find a nugget in each person's safety brief.

Buut... if you are ready for the best advice EVER, do these things...
First thing he gave me was a 110 camera, you can take your phone, go scout, try to sneak up and take a picture of your quarry, IN ANY WEATHER. Then, BLOW UP THE PICS TO SEE WHAT YOU MISSED. Talk about shock and awe as I was diagnosed with "CSS Boot" (You can't see #@&! Boot) pointing out the seven other signs I missed. It also taught me the area to hunt and I steadily quit getting lost or excited or still hunting too fast. Helping a farmer with his fencing does 2 things, scouting and arranging a place to hunt.
Second, get a bb or pellet gun and a trap, and in early morning light, any weather, hit the target. this teaches trigger control like nothing else. NO STINKIN INDOOR OR COVERED RANGE CAN MATCH THIS.

Third, go small game hunting (again, in any weather) to cook up some good BBQ ( teaches how to hit a small and moving target and to pass up a shot along with basic game harvesting). Then after you have ruined rabbit or squirrel or woodchuck, then you will appreciate the work WHEN AND IF GOD SMILES ON YOUR HUNT.

Good luck.

Do us all a favor and be respectful and responsible, give to hunters for the hungry, do not give the anti's ANY EXCUSES and good luck.