HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Greenswamp wma hunters
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Tufrthnails
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18

do you hunt private land in KY? That state has been on my bucket list. Been looking into it for a few years now.
Yes Private and Public. My family has farms up there and I hunt several WMAs near the farms. Ate my buck tag this year, but bagged 5 does so the freezer looks good. I honestly only hunt Florida Public, because I love to be in the woods. I pass a lot of young bucks and have for quite a few years, but I love the challenge of FL public that's not to say if a buck tickles my fancy I won't bag him just because he has a small rack I have just gotten where I love seeing bucks get older. Green swamp is a good example of what the antler restrictions has done for the buck age and size structure several 150#+ buck have been taken this season and there are some more good ones I've got on camera. If you are thinking about hitting KY up the public land is nothing like FL. Hunting pressure is minimal on the most pressured lands compared to FL if your willing to get away from the crop edges and do some leg work. Especially if you are willing to do it with a bow in your hand. There are a lot of opportunities to hunt KY public with a bow in your hands. My family generally does a week of rut hunting on the farms during first week of gun season and I go up a week early and stomp the public lands with my bow in my hands. Most of the western counties are now unlimited does so filling the freezer makes it worth the cost of the trip.