HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Christmas tracking job
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 08:39 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

I look at the crossbow as just another advance in technology. Back in the day all there was to hunt archery with were traditional bows. Along came wheeled compound bows, aluminum then carbon arrows and then advances such as cams in place of the wheels. The crossbows had a following mostly for older people who could no longer operate a compound or trad bow. Different state laws changed to allow for their use and today at least in my state anyone 50 and older can hunt with them without any additional permit. Some places allow them wherever trad or compound bows are allowed. There are certainly some pluses for crossbows with a few minor negatives. So far I am still using my compound and at age 70 can see how my results might get better with a compound but am reluctant to change. Deer react to the noise of a bow and since a crossbow is faster the effective distance is more. Personally, my limits are probably 35 yards with my compound. I can still hit accurately at 50 but feel that additional distance just gives the deer more time to react and duck the shot. Seeing how crossbows shoot I imagine a 50 yard limit would probably apply but not sure since I don't hunt with one.