HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - alfalfa for deer
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 06:41 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

The knowledge pool says don''t feed them Alfalfa. Especially when all of the water is frozen.
*Look around and see what they have available*. My lease is half agriculture and there is a lot of goodies out in the fields that isn't particularly good for Deer, but they are used to it. Young winter Alfalfa is supposed to be really bad for them, some sort of toxin.

Anymore I've taken to filling my one ton trailer up with young Birch Tree branches. Birch is a weed here in some areas, the Deer eat them up as high as they can reach when they are a available. I have a pole chain saw and fill up the trailer in half an hour.

Every few years we get a severe cold snap. I've supplemental fed with Oats and/or dried on the stem Oat Hay. Never seemed to cause any issues I've noticed. But like I said my Deer have a lot of grain crops available, even in winter, their digestive system is used to it. The ditches are usually full of Wheat, Oats or Rap that never got harvested and fields full of corn stalks and kernels..

Last edited by MudderChuck; 12-22-2018 at 06:56 AM.