HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can I feed deer in winter
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 10:31 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
I find this stuff interesting. I have had a small feeder out for over 20 years and the most deer I have seen concentrated is 3. It's usually one or maybe two. However every year the farmers leave a small section of corn standing that they couldn't get out because of weather. Well you will see up to 30 deer in those fields on that corn strip talk about concentrated stupid farmers don't they know there concentrating deer and causing disease spread.
I gather you mean this light hearted like
but it is a fact, when you place food out in winter time, more and more deer will show up
maybwe you don;t have large groups showing up to your feeder, but it does happen
I have seen a 100 + deer on bulb piles a local green house USED to dumb out in winter time for deer
and its also NOT a 100% deala that it will make any deer sick
it just increases the odds that if ONE sick deer is about, it can make others sick
the point is, is the risk/cons that MIGHT happen really worth the hassle to feed them?

I know and have known folks that feed deer all yr and have for decades and never seem to have any sick deer on there lands, but at same time I have also seen where deer have had larger impacts from spreading illness when a sick one eats out of a feed pile! and or deer that got sick eating moldy corn dumped on wet ground!
so it can happen,
does it always~~
NO it doesn't