HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whitetail Craziness
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 06:43 AM
tatonka
Fork Horn

Default Whitetail Craziness

I think the Whitetail World has gone just a little crazy. These days we have more posted signs than hunters, people are buying and leasing land faster than Donald Trump can fire people, and on and on and on.... ......Food plots and trail cams up the ying yang, mineral supplements being put out, hunters buying every gadget under the sun, etc.

A 140" buck doesn't even get a second glance these days. Unless you live in Vermont or Maine, no one gives a hoot about body weight. It used to be body weight was the measure of a big buck...not these days. It's all about who can grow the biggest buck on their farm. I read a story recently about a guy whose family bought a 3,000 acre farm and then hired a manager to run it and watch over it as they lived in a big city somewhere or another. He shoots a big buck and then pats himself on the back for it. Really? Why not just go to a preserve and shoot a big buck....pretty much the same thing.

Speaking of preserves, deer farms and shooting preserves are popping up all over the US and Canada and from what I understand most are booked solid. Thousands of whopper bucks are killed on these preserves and I'm sure many are being passed off as being killed in free range areas. Egos gone wild....

I don't get it. I love hunting big bucks and love a big rack as much as the next guy, but it's really gotten out of hand. I rarely watch a deer hunting show on tv anymore. If you seen one buck shot out of a tree stand over a food plot you've seen them all. It's nuts!!!!