HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cooking liver and onions
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 10:11 AM
mr-pirk
Nontypical Buck

Default Cooking liver and onions

I am having trouble with cooking liver and onions from an old doe I shot. I have made two attempts and had poor results both times. The first attempt I put about a 1/4" depth of olive oil in a cast iron skillet. I had soaked the liver slices, sliced about 1/2" thick in cold water for about an hour. I placed the slices in butter milk and then dredged them through seasoned flour. When the oil was hot I placed the slices in the skillet. I cooked the slices till no more red blood was coming out during the cooking process. I turned the slices over several times during the cooking process. The results were as tough as shoe leather.
On the second attempt I soaked the liver slices in butter milk for about 2 hours after removing the thin membrane from the edges of the slices. The slices were about 1/2" thick. I then rinsed the slices under cold water and then patted them dry. I melted enough salted butter in at the cast iron skillet to reach a depth of about 3/8". Once the melted butter was hot I dredged the slices in seasoned flour and shook off any extra flour till it was only a light coating of flour on the slices. I turned the slices over after cooking the first side about 2 minutes. I let the slices cook for about another 2 minutes and turned them again. There was still red blood oozing out of them. So I turned them over again and cooked them for another 2 minutes, there was still red blood oozing out. I turned them over one last time and cooked them for 2 minutes and took them out of the skillet. There was still a bit of red blood seeping out of them. I checked them for tenderness. They were as though as shoe leather.
I like calf liver and onions and I don't want to give up on the deer liver but I am about at a loss to figure this out. I am thinking the next attempt I will slice the liver thinner, maybe 1/4" and do as I did in my second attempt.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Mr-Pirk