HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for hunting area around Buda, Kyle, San Marcos Texas
Old 11-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Most of TX is private. There is something like 4 million acres of public land scattered across the state but tags for those areas are pretty much a draw. The fee to hunt for does is mostly a trespass fee sort of like the big ranches in MY and MT for mulies and pronghorns. I go to CO once every 2 years to hunt mulies with my brother (as a matter of fact I leave this afternoon to do just that) but the cost of a NR tag is kind of high. I can take 4 does off private land here in TX for what my NR tag in CO cost this year. I know one guy that lets me shoot does for free but that isn't a deal the OP will get into unless he gets to know people.

TX hunting is kind of a different beast.
Good luck on the muley hunt with your brother. I am meeting up with my younger brother tomorrow for the BP opener here in Vt. He too is a retired Chief. Think he stayed in 21 years and his views are amazingly similar to yours. He has been out around 10 years. I think one of his best duties was Sere instructor in Maine. I think he still carries his challenge coin. LOL
I was in a couple of Texas AF bases in the late 60's. Never had the time to hunt though.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-30-2018 at 11:45 AM.