HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CVA WOLF opinions and load recommendations?
Old 11-27-2018, 10:06 AM
rogerstv
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerSlayer267
Considering getting a muzzle loader because why not have more guns and a new way to hunt? But I have done my research and totally understand that the best way to do things is to buy a bunch of stuff, and just shoot and figure it out, problem with that is i am a broke college kid hardly getting by as it is. I was wondering if any of you wise hunters could just point me in a certain direction. not necessarily a load set up but a starting point at least, I want to avoid draining what little money i have. Also do you recommend i get a scope or just stick with the fiber optics?
Muzzle loading is fun and relatively easy. You will purchase more components than with a shotgun or rifle. Cleaning after each use is important as the powders tend to corrode steel. 777 is the worst. Blackhorn is a great powder. I shoot 100 grains by volume of Blackhorn loose powder. Going to start weighing my powder as I recently learned that volume measurements have more error when reproducing each load. 100 grains by volume ranged from 72 to 76+ grains. Not a huge difference when considering the minute amount of powder in a grain let alone a tenth of a grain by weight. I would scope the gun for maximum potential. CVA makes good firearms.Try to find someone who has one and get their advice. Jumping in head first will likely create havoc and confusion. Could be a safety issue or two.