HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thermals vs. Wind Direction: Set up downhill or uphill?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:29 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I had one spot where I'd often set up. It was more a steep hill than a ridge, 30% slope. I'd set up facing the length of the slope near the base with an open area behind me, not much chance of them crossing the open area. The hill was on my left, most often mornings. I hunted that spot for years and never saw anything crossing left to right, they were always crossing right to left, from the bottom to the top. I had good vision onto the slope, mostly high weeds. Eventually I caught on, my scent was going up that slope. A few times I snaked up that slope through good cover to have a view of the top of the slope where it leveled out some. Most times there was game at the top of the slope. I went up there a few times and it looked liked liked a zoo up there, a lot of game. Which made me think my scent went up the slope and then kept right on going up to harmless places. My best guess is it may not be a rule, but may be kind of a localized thing. Trees can change the dynamic some, there is usually a temperature difference between thick stands of trees and the open areas.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 11-16-2018 at 09:39 AM.