HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bad eye sight
Thread: Bad eye sight
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 03:16 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timmyd1924
She wears contacts, and it helps. I think its just harder for her to pick out the deer because they do not contrast enough.
Even with contacts she should be wearing shooting glasses. I've never been able to wear contacts, allergies. But if they are anything like glasses, they are usually tuned to lifestyle. Maybe her lenses are tuned to driving, or closer in work?
Scratch resistant ballistic type glasses, with a custom tint are expensive. I'd do some serious trials before I spent the money.
One thing I did discover was standard 50mm flat round lenses are cheap and adding a custom tint, not all that expensive. The lenses and tint are typically a quarter the cost of stylish type glasses. Another tip, work welding glass (standard 50mm round and some other shapes) is covered a hundred percent by my insurance. And they have never questioned the tint code. I periodically have to reorder my welding glass, I order two pair with different tint codes. Every few months is normal, after a few years you have a collection of tints.
One tip, a tint that works well in the fog also seems to help low contrast in general. The same tint hat works for shooting or hunting for me also works well in the fog when driving.
My optometrist was great, he dimmed the lights and used non reflective photographs, He also set me up with loaner glasses that had easily replaceable lenses. He had a whole selection of lenses and tints that I could try out for awhile before I laid out the serious cash for the scratch resistant, ballistic, custom tint glasses.