HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bad eye sight
Thread: Bad eye sight
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 01:49 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Everybody's eyes are a little different. I've used tinted lenses, a kind of amber color works best for me, kind of a combination of yellow and red (but not orange), a moderate tint, not a dark tint. The same tint makes driving in fog a lot easier. I also use a good pair of low light binoculars. All binoculars aren't the same, they all have coatings of some sort and the coatings vary in tint and filter. Just luck, but the binoculars I have now seemed to work best for me and I noticed later the color of the filter was almost the same tint as my glasses, kind of a red yellow amber. All binoculars have filters to keep you from frying your eyes with UV, finding a pair that filters UV without degrading low light is the trick. I was lucky, my optometrist was an old timer, a hunter and was willing to work with me to get the best results.

Most people see movement much better than they see shape. For some people the ability to see stationary shapes in a cluttered low contrast background is better than other peoples. Vision acuity doesn't have a lot to do with it. I look for motion, often the first thing I see is the twitch of an ear, then all of a sudden my mind fills in the rest of the shape. I scan with binoculars, then switch to my eyes, then my scope. I've done it so many times over so many years it is natural for me. I'm also really good at picking things up in my scope first try, I rarely have to search any.
Half light is the worst for me. I see better in the dark than most people, twilight gives me issues.