HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scent Wick/Drag ?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 04:49 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Because things seem to stink less when they're cold. Throwing wet scent sticks into a bag and leaving them in my backpack just seems like it would start to grow stuff lol....

As for leaving them in the woods... I want the scent to be something new for the deer. If it's there all the time I think they probably get used to it. I only want it there when I'm sitting there watching it .

I'm not a scent expert. I'm not even knowledgeable on it . I just know what I do.

My routine is pretty simple. I drag a wick behind me on a string. Sometimes brushing it up against overhanging brush, etc. If it's a long walk in I'll freshen it up with additional scent a few times. Once I get to my spot I hang up my other wicks and put fresh scent on them. Then, i typically walk it past my stand out to 20 yards or so and hang it up, usually I'll walk a half circle around my stand dragging the wick.... When I'm done, I take all the wicks off, and put them in a sealed container or baggie, then that goes in the fridge when I get home.

I've found scent to be useful. I've had deer follow the trail exactly as I walked it. I've had deer come across the trail and pause at the scent line (good when they pause for a shot) and I've seen deer stretch their necks way out to get their noses up to smell a scent wick. So they apparently work.

I also think it can help cover some of your scent when walking in, or at least dilute it some and give the deer something else to think about. I don't use scent covers, or scent lock clothing etc. Just try to hunt smart and use the wind. But I've had good luck using various deer urines as scent attractants.

-Jake