HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - burger jerky
Thread: burger jerky
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 08:20 AM
ctom
Spike

To get nice consistent jerky thickness I lay a pair of 1/4" dowels along side the meat between the sheets of waxed paper. Roll the meat out until the rolling pin runs atop of the dowels and you'll have nice, jerky thickness slabs to cut or trim as you wish. The jerky guns are less than friendly and doing it with the dowels allows me to whip right thru a 25 pound batch. I make as many1/4" slabs as the batch makes and stack them on cookie sheets leaving the film on them and set them in the fridge, covered with a damp towel so I only have to mess with rolling once and I can work at drying over a couple days.

I oven dry my jerky done with burger and leave it just a hair soft, then set the racks in the garage covered with a towel so air can help dry the meat the rest of the way.

I make more cut muscle jerky than the burger but will make the burger variety is pressed for time. My cut jerky is cured with seasonings then lightly smoked and finished in the oven where I can closely watch the temp. At 155 degrees I shut the heat off and let the oven come to room temp naturally. If the meat is still fairly moist it gets the garage trick like the other.

I live in Minnesota and the only time I work with venison is right after the season and as a rule we're fairly cool by then so drying meat in the garage doesn't result in spoilage as long as the product has cure in it and the initial drying temp has hit no less than 152 degrees for the cure to fully do its work. As long as daytime highs are 40 degrees or less in the garage its good to go.