HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Private and public land options (hog) california
Old 10-08-2018, 04:05 PM
entropy4money
Spike

Yeah I found out this club called My Country Club which is good for deer and turkey. Apparently dreamland for turkey hunting. $3000 a year, pretty much guaranteed to get a turkey if you know how to call them and put in some time, and huge chances at getting a deer. However I thought about it and realize I rather spend $3000 on gear, and go public. Some good private ranches you can get in for about $200~$250 fee and they'll tell you where the turkeys are, all you gotta do is do the right thing, not that I am doing that, but it is a lot less than $3000.

I've invested on bowhunting over the past years, and I camp and backpack a lot for fun, since there is actually so much public land here and I don't mind getting far, I think the public hunting won't be as bad for me. Specially bowhunting should be a lot less pressure, harder to connect, but if I get to see wildlife and at least get a chance, I am happy. I've been hiking a lot since I moved here and have seem wildlife on almost every single trip, including bucks. There are deer in California for sure. In Vermont, I never saw a deer while hiking, never. I'll be going to military bases to learn hog hunting, and once comfortable and good at it I might pay access fees at good hunting locations in the future.

Anyway.... I decided I am going to go public, we will see how that goes lol... if it is way too frustrating I'll evaluate other options. Hunting is already an expensive sport, and adding the private hunting fees to it, I think it is too much. I can afford it but I can't really justify it to myself.

Last edited by entropy4money; 10-08-2018 at 04:07 PM.