HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Private and public land options (hog) california
Old 10-05-2018, 09:46 AM
entropy4money
Spike

Default Private and public land options (hog) california

Hi,

So first of all I've been hunting for only 3 years whitetail deer and turkey in VT. I recently moved to California and so far it is all been pretty disappointing, but this is what I have. Please don't tell me to move out, I know being a hunter in California is almost a criminal offense, especially near Los Angeles, but this is where I live now. I can't, my wife got her dream job here and I love her, she is happy and that makes me happy.

A little background. I love public land hunting. I love being on my own, camping, hiking for hours and hunting wild animals. It was only my last year in Vermont I almost tagged a buck. I scouted a 12 pointer in a remote area in the green mountains and made a plan to tag him, he did not come near my morning stand, but plan B was to try tracking him on fresh snow. I tracked that buck all day long across the green mountain national forest, miles and miles of hiking in 15 degree weather. Just when I got a sight of him, it was indeed the 12 pointer I scouted, right when I pull up my rifle he smelled me and spooked and that was it, it was too late to keep chasing him. That is the kind of hunt I like. To track a 12 pointer big woods deer in public land in Vermont is a great achievement for me. Out of the 10 years living on Vermont I never saw anything bigger than a spike while in the woods, a 12 pointer is a beast. I used to go out hunting several times a year, during archery I was out about 15 times total, without counting the dozens of scouting trips in summer. I didn't see that deer ever again for the rest of the season.

I didn't get any deer tags for California this year. I got here too late, and I couldn't get any. Also, in VT a deer tag comes with your license, you don't have to go through a lottery. I learned about hogs and got excited about it, until I found out they've been driven off public lands and are becoming a booming business. I learned about private clubs (wilderness unlimited) and it was compelling, but with the mixed reviews and $3,000 for the first year for membership I decided it was a little too much. And then there are the guided hunts, and fort hunter Ligget.

I made the decision I will stick to public land for deer hunting and only bowhunting, as the crowds and hunting pressure during bowhunting season are minimal, and it is also very safe. I won't touch deer rifle season in California. As for hogs, I am considering guided hunts. It is not what I really want, but for the money it really isn't all that expensive. I could also use it as a learning opportunity. Do you have any recommendations of good outfitters? I am looking to pay around $600. I am interested in learning how to hunt the animal, and I really don't want to go somewhere fenced, or where you're hunting almost farmed and released pigs... Trying to navigate around this strange state where it seems like it is all about money and business.

Also, what are your thoughts on Fort Hunter Ligger for pigs and archery deer? the place looks actually really nice.

Thanks

Last edited by entropy4money; 10-05-2018 at 09:49 AM.