HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - just how accurate does your deer rifle need to be?
Old 10-02-2018, 02:33 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

I think accuracy is over used in many ways, but there is never a reason to NOT want the most accurate load your rifle can shoot, how much effort you want to go thru to get there, is a personal thing

but one thing I have always noticed is, everyone shoots there rifles off rests and then goes and hunts and shoots off hand?
SO in a small way, the MORE accurate the riffle/load is, MAYBE there is a better chance of hitting what one is shooting at off hand, as well, we all know NO one shoots as small a group free hand as they do off a rest

so, say your rifle shoots a 1 inch group off sand bags and you shoot same load off hand at about 3 inch group
and now you take a gun load your rifle shoot a 3 inch group off sand bags and NOW shoot THAT one free hand?? there MIGHT be a larger difference?? Food for thought!
I personally prefer rifles and ammo that shoots me sub 1 MOA and if I cannot get that with "X" rifle, I tend to get rid of them (unless buying for other reasons)
but this is MY personal way of owning rifles
can the accuracy be over kill and not needed, SURE, but why own something that is only SO SO< if you have the means to own better ?? many hunters only get 1 chance a yr to punch a tag, all the odds you can put in one's favor, seem logical to me to do, as in the wilds, there are far too many things we have NO control over
if your current rifle /bullet combo gets you consistently in a kill zone, that that is all maybe YOU need, but again, its YOUR call
after selling guns for a LONG time and seeing and talking to folks, and hearing SO many that just buy ANY ammo and many that never even shoot it to see where it goes or if anything moved from yr to yr or years.
I think it all comes down to the shooter and what they want and willing to accept!