HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Free Range vs. High Fence
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 11:50 AM
tatonka
Fork Horn

Seems like the older I get, the less judgemental I've become. A few years back if someone had mentioned a high fence hunt I probably would have told them how it wasn't hunting, it was just killing, etc., etc., etc., I still think that way, but have come to the conclusion that no matter what I think people have a right to hunt where and how they choose to as long as it's legal. I might not agree with what others do, but it's their right...that's what makes American the country that it is.

In regards to high fence hunts, I can kind of see how some folks might be drawn to it. In some states a person can hunt their entire life and never take anything remotely close to being something most people would put on the wall. I know guys in Vermont who have hunted all their lives and maybe have only killed a little forkhorn or two. My uncle had two brother-in-laws who two their two week vacation during hunting season every year and hunted 26 years and never killed a buck!!! True story. Hard to believe, but true. My wif'es cousin (from Vermont) went to Saskatchewan 4 times several years back and never did kill anything to get excited about.. Between the cost of the hunts, the travel, etc. I'm guessing he spent over $20,000. I could see someone like that taking a serious look at a high fence hunt, although he never has. Personally, I'm lucky. I've taken far more big bucks than any one man deserves, but Montana isn't Vermont or any of the other states were a big buck is a scarce as hen's teeth.

At any rate, it's interesting how we all look at hunting differently.