HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Favorite Big Game Rifle and Why?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 02:51 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

“Favorite” is a little different than “best” for me, and picking any favorite for me is difficult. I tend to have to think - what would I buy for myself?

What I DID buy for myself under $500 - which still would be under $500 today - was a Ruger M77 Mark II in .30-06, I’ve had it for over 20yrs, and I really enjoy it. If I knew then what I know now, I never would have bought it, and would have missed out. I paid $380 for the rifle, a new set of rings, and a Japanese made Tasco 4-16x44mm with a mil-dot reticle. The scope is NOT my favorite.

Over $1,000 - what I did for myself for my big game rifle is another Ruger M77 Hawkeye, in 300win mag, but very customized. I bought stainless rifles for my wife and I, threw out the stocks, barrels, and triggers. I picked out a couple of blanks at Macon which were more than $1000 just for the wood, plus the cost of duplication, bedding, and finish work. Timney triggers, Shilen barrels, with multiple barrels for both rifles - so any time we take game bigger than whitetail and elk, we can turn on a heavier cartridge.

Between $500-1,000, I’d likely pick another oddball - my first long range rifle I built was a Rem 700 in 7x57mauser. I’d expect this would fall in that price range today - even if I found it cheaper than $500 for the rifle, I’d spend that difference on a new stock to better fit me.