HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To Hunt Mornings or Not Early Bow
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 01:24 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
have to hunt smarter that's all, but they are out there 24/7/365, so if you have the time off, and know where to go, and as said above can get in and out right, and pay a little extra to scent control,. as much easier to work up a sweat walking in , or for me any how!
I would sure be hunting mornings, just got to get ahead of them before they make it to where they bed! or near where they bed IMO!
I do the same, I set up early mornings way before first light and try to find a spot within a hundred or two hundred yards of a bedding area. Coming back from feeding towards a bedding area kind of funnels them somewhat, picking a good spot that funnels them even farther is smart. They will jump fences, but as often as not, follow the path of least resistance, along the fence.

Next best is to set up near feeding areas. They tend to move into feeding areas kind of spooky and on guard. They tend to return to bedding areas a lot less spooky. Just a generality and experience.

I've had a lot of success setting up near a lone tall bush or short tree near (a hundred yards or so) a bedding area. The Bucks often stop to lick leaves as high as they can reach while standing on all fours on their way *to and from* a bedding area, even not during the rut. I've watched them lick way out of range and set up the next day closer to the same bush or low tree,