HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6 month old lab/border-collie mix trainable?
Old 08-24-2018, 08:05 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes those mix breeds work out well, sometimes they don't. The only real up side to a purebred is you kind of know what to expect, hereditary tendencies.

I have one now with a strong prey drive, a really good nose, but he is a bone head and independent minded. Not at all easy to control or train. He is really good at flushing game and will work a hedgerow really well. He is not much good for anything else, but if I leash him he will track a blood trail. His nose is really good, he will follow a blood trail with just a few tiny drops barley visible. Nothing I trained him to do, just what he does.

I had one mix that would do anything I could communicate to her that I wanted. I used her as a stock dog, hunted Coyote with her, she pointed flushed and retrieved birds. She was really eager to please, way smart and had a strong prey drive. We just communicated well. Like I said all I had to do was figure out a way to communicate my wishes and she'd try her darnedest to fulfill them.

I've adjusted my hunts to my dogs strengths many times. I watch and learn what they do well and then I adapt. Sometime you get lucky with a mixed bred, sometimes you don't. But it is likely they are good at something and you can adapt.

One big thing is to accustom them to gunfire. A dog that freaks at the sound of gunfire is unlikely to be any good as a hunter. There are different ways to train a Dog to tolerate gunfire, best read up on it.