HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Free Range vs. High Fence
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 01:16 PM
tatonka
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
I would never pollute either my game pole or my wall with a deer taken behind a high fence. If it comes down to having to hunt that way I'll sell all my rifles and go fishing.
So, when you sell your rifles and go fishing will it be in a stocked pond?

More seriously, I hear you but I'm old and grew up when hunting was pretty much entirely about the hunt, putting meat on the table, etc. People counted points, but all of the big buck contests were based on a deer's field dressed weight. I'd never heard of B&C until I read a story in Outdoor Life about a father and son who killed a 160 and a 180 buck. I thought they were taking about the deer's weight and couldn't figure out why the story was in a magazine. People had bucks mounted back then but not just based on how big they were. I can recall many small forkhorns and basket racked bucks that were someone's first buck. Now I love a big old rack as much as the next guy...for sure, for sure. If you love deer hunting, who doesn't? If I went out and shot the first legal deer I saw my hunting season would last about one hour. So, I do hold out for a nice buck.

Game farms aren't legal in Montana anymore. They outlawed them several years back. There might be a couple around that were grandfathered in, but other than that there aren't any. We do have some pheasant shooting preserves. I have never been to one but I'm guessing the birds don't fly too well from what I've heard. I don't know if people pollute their walls and freezer with birds they shoot on preserves or not. But I know guys who have polluted their wall and freezer with stocked fish.