HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - looking to hunt for first time
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Berserker
Typical Buck

Download or pick up DNR hunting regs. This varies a great deal from state to state. Where I am at you would not have to take hunter safety due to your age. Hunting hours vary. All kinds of stuff.

I am pretty much self taught on gutting. I was shown once on my first deer at 14, but then didn't didn't get one for awhile. Not saying I am great at it But I do the job. Now a days you got youtube. TV used/has self imposed rule about gutting, to not turn folks off I think.

Not saying you can learn everything from a book, but doesn't hurt. Don't take them as gospel. But try to pick a little something up from them all.

Some is goign to just depend on how many deer you got. If you are in warm weather farm country, you may get lucky.

No matter what I would get a tag and go sit somewhere this year. Don't let another year pass, cause you don't know, or have anyone to talk to. You may not get anything. Hopefully you learn something, and hopefully just have a nice time in the woods.

One benefit being warm country, you don't need to spend alot on clothes. You want to spend enough money starting out that you enjoy yourself, but not blow a fortune, on something you may not stick with, or junk you don't need.

If you can get a doe tag, it will greatly increase the chance of gettig some meat while you learn.