HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help for a new Elk Hunter
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 11:13 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

If you are going to be an hr north of Steamboat then you're probably hunting somewhere around Hahn's Peak. I have hunted a lot for elk, deer and bear in that area. Unless you can set that treestand up over a hot waterhole or wallow you're probably wasting your time. Based on my personal hunting journal I have taken about 10 elk in that area and every one of them was either glassed and stalked or walked up. In the early season the elk will probably be in mostly areas where the aspens and pines come together. They will feed in the aspens and spend the hot parts of the day in the shade of the pines. The area you are going to be in, if my guess is right, has quite a few closed off logging roads. These make it pretty easy to cover a for of country on foot while you are looking for elk.

I have personally shot 25 elk, most of them in CO, and I'd guess I walked an average of 30 miles for every one I have taken. Elk country is big country and only a small percentage of it will hold elk. You need to cover ground in the early season to find them. I'd also suggest if you are bow hunting and you probably are if you are hunting that early to take a cow if you can. I always suggest first time elk hunters target a cow since there are always a lot more cows than bulls and they are smaller which makes it easier for first time elk hunters to take care of because field care for an elk is a whole lot different than a deer especially if you have to pack it a couple of miles.

This bull came out of Crane Park which is roughly an hr north of Steamboat. Not a huge bull but average for that region of the state. If you see one like this, take it.