HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best 243 bullet for deer hunting?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 10:10 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by buffybr
I also agree with Flags. Try different brands and different weight bullets in your rifle before you stockpile a supply. My "dedicated" deer rifle is my .257 Ackley, and being a handloader, I like to tinker with different bullets, so over the years I've shot bullets from Sierra, Nosler, and Hornady, and in bullet weights from 115-120 grains. They all did an excellent job of killing the animals that I shot with them.

Most of the hype about different bullets is just a marketing ploy by the different manufacturers to sell their bullets. With a properly placed hit, deer are not that hard to kill, with just about any bullet.
Ive used about all the common rifle calibers from 257 roberts, 257 wby, up to 458 lott , and pistols from 357mag to 500 S&W, on local deer here in florida at one time or another,
and buffybr has a point, almost any caliber with a heavy for its bore diameter projectile properly placed is lethal in the hands of a skilled hunter
animals are far from armor plated even a 357 mag or 10mm will drop an elk with a well placed shot.
I have total confidence in the rifles I've selected once I know they are correctly sighted in, and while I tend to prefer the 35-45 calibers ,
you can't ignore physics and a heavy bullet of high sectional density tends to get much better penetration and carries energy well.
personally I prefer the 340 wby, and 375 H&H for big game, my late hunting partner used nothing but a 358 win BLR and referred to my rifles as cannons.
one of the guys I hunted with for years used a 257 roberts....we were all successful...
theres too many guys with a long list of successful kills using other cartridges to think that theres a magic upper or lower limit ,that must be adhered too on the weapons power to get it too work.
howard hill killed elephants with archery equipment, there have been record size grizzly's killed with a 22lr, eskimos have killed dozens of polar bear and huge walrus with a 243 win.
find what your comfortable using, use a quality bullet heavy for bore diameter, and learn how to shoot well from field positions and you'll have very few problems.
you need to be 100% confident in your choice, and know exactly your limitations, yes you do give up some potential range and penetration with some smaller calibers...
if you use those, just understand you need to get a bit closer and be a bit more precise, with shot placement,
power does NOT make up for bad shot placement, but it does allow you some extra latitude in making racking angle shots, at longer ranges, that you should not attempt with lesser calibers at longer ranges.
but I'd also point out that in almost 50 years of hunting , I'd bet 90% of the game Ive shot or seen shot was killed at well under 300 yards.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-05-2018 at 09:29 AM.