HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best gun/ caliber for a youth
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Pretty hard to go wrong with a 7mm-08 but there are a couple of golden oldies that would also be good. Either a 257 Roberts or a 6.5x55 Swede would also be really good with my nd going to the Swede. It is a very light recoiling round and it is extremely effective on game. I have a Rem Model 700 Classic in the Swede and it is my favorite gun for pronghorns. Normally I handload for just about everything but the Seller & Belloit factory 131 gr round is so accurate in my rifle that I have never found a handload that will beat it. So I laid in 500 rounds of that ammo and called it good.

Everyone forgets about the golden oldies for some reason.
257 Roberts always piqued my interest since I remember that cartridge featured in many of the gun articles I read way back when. Never shot a gun with that caliber and don't know anyone that hunts with one. From what I understand it is one of the old... all time perfect deer calibers. It seems to me that all that odd caliber fan base is centered around 7MM-08 these days. Deer guns here in Vermont run pretty much along .270, 308 or 30-06 which are all on the upper end of what is considered suitable for deer. In my hunting trips I normally have seen the smaller .243 or .260 type weapon outside of New England.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-22-2018 at 02:30 PM.