HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best gun/ caliber for a youth
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 07:26 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I just think too many folks have gotten used to the paradigm where we buy what is on the shelf, regardless of how well it fits our frame or fits our wants and needs.

A few short generations ago, it was more common for sportsmen to access gunsmiths much like a mechanic or watchmaker. If something didn’t work quite right or fit quite right, they’d have it changed. Guns were few and craftsmen worked cheap. Then labor costs went through the roof, and skill fell off, so sportsmen got used to living with what the factories offered, instead of making their firearms their own. Now we’re seeing a bit of the reverse pendulum swing, going back to more customization - but the manufacturers are answering with broader model offerings.

I’m a firm believer in this: if what you want can’t be found on a shelf, build it. I’m also a believer in customization over replacement. Doing both of these gives the sportsman a closer intimacy to the firearm. Sort of a twist on the mantra: “this is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine...” but with even more personal sentimentality, because there AREN’T many like it when you build something just how you want.