HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Antler King vs Co-Op seeds.
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 08:34 PM
StrungOutOutdoors
Spike

Truth is that coop seeds are designed more for cattle and hay. Then you have brands such as Whitetail institute and Pennington that truly design better forage. They spend years developing their verities by crossbreeding with other strands to develop a better plant, more desirable and healthier for deer. Some verities are even roundup ready. They are usually more drought and cold/heat/shade tolerant, more leaf, compared to stem, etc. If I was going to plant just a half acre, I would use Durana, or Patriot clover by Pennington, or Whitetail institute clover seeds. I have 2 acres of whitetail institute clover and I am beyond pleased with it. same with their oats, they are sweeter and cold tolerant. Mine was green all the way from fall planting to this summer when I had to terminate it with glyphosate to release my clovers. Check your soil ph and throw down some oats and clover. The oats will act as a cover crop to protect your clover while they develop their root system their first year. The oats will keep them happy this season and give you something to hunt over if you desire. The come spring, youll have a lush clover plot, but youll more than likely have to catch weeds and grasses early. Spray some cleth and mow once or twice over the summer and youll be good. Good luck