HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer & bear revolver
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 02:43 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

First, Barrel length: for hunting, a 5.5” is a nice belt gun, but doesn’t level on target quite as firmly as the 7.5” models.

Cartridge: the 454 Casull and 480 Ruger are more than a .44mag can attain, but either are too much recoil for whitetail or hogs. Both can be handloaded to be very mild, and the heft of the Super Redhawk tames them pretty well, but again, it’s a bit more than a guy needs to tolerate. Both are fantastic cartridges, and I have been hunting more often in recent years with a 454c than a 44mag. To me, the Super Redhawk really is a 454c platform, with the 44mag in it being a sub caliber cartridge.

Optic Ready Revolvers: the 44mag Ruger Bisley Hunter (Super Blackhawk) is a great option in the single action, lower cost class. The Super Duper Blackhawk in 454c or 480R are great, but a little less sexy for optic integration (there IS a no drill aftermarket option). The 454/480 SBH’s recoil considerably more than anything else in this list, due to the lighter SA frame and shorter 6.5” barrel. The Super RedHawks are a better option, in any of the 3 cartridges discussed. Personally, I would flip a coin between the 454c Super Redhawk, then pick anything from standard 45 colt to full potential 454c loads for hunting, or the 44mag Super Redhawk, again, picking anything between 44spcl Close range hog loads and super loaded 44mag loads. The S&W 629 Magnum Hunter is a mean machine as well, and incredibly well behaved with the lugged 7.5” barrel and factory brake. I don’t typically enjoy blued/black revolvers, but the 629 Mag Hunter called to me.