HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Switching To A Crossbow
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 12:10 AM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

I've shot ten points, and they are definitely a quality crossbow.

No experience with the other.

My suggestion to you would be this.... instead of focusing on brand, go to a big store with lots of options and focus on what will carry the best for you.

Crossbows are mostly designed for the tree stand hunter in my opinion. They're bulky, heavy, hard to carry in tight brush. They're tough to still hunt with. My first deer with a bow from the ground was with a crossbow. I was still hunting up a field edge just inside the woods when some doe and an 8 point started heading my way. I was able to crouch down and wait for a good shot on the buck. But given the option when it comes to ground hunting with archery gear, the crossbow is the last of my choices.

They make some reverse limb crossbows now that are much narrower than a standard bow. But I have no experience with them. Might be worth looking in to.

I think if I were you I would narrow down my search by picking the lightest, narrowest bow that is still capable of penetrating elk at the distance you expect to be shooting. Hunting elk is much different than the style of hunting that most crossbows are typically used for. So weight and how it feels to carry would be important to me. There are some impressive crossbows on the market today if you're willing to spend the money. But there's good deals to be had for reasonable prices too. Good luck on your search.

-Jake