HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big Bear !!
Thread: Big Bear !!
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 06:20 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

bears are honestly IMO the hardest animal to judge, as every angle,view of them can make them look bigger or smaller, without known references to help judge them, , this is JUST A guess

I would say the bear with the V on its chest, is all of 350 lbs and could be more, as again, its hard to really get a weight without me seeing in person, or better pic's of broad side and a full length like deal!
and NOT liek you can just ask a bear to pose for you
Since its legal in NJ to bait, if you wanted to get better idea's on bear sizes,
you can do many things, from marking tree's with marks to judge(placing hash marks 5-6-7-8 ft on a tree, and placing peanut butter on the tree, will get them to stand up and reach for it, getting you some actual better clue's on size
as well as placing known sized objects next to bait piles, this is why so many outfitters use 55 gallon drums, to help folks see when a small bear is next to a drum as tio a LARGE bear next to a drum
same can be done if you place food next to a downed tree' and mark it so you can seen when a bear lays next to lodg to eat(bears really like to lay down when they can and eat , there pretty lazy and slower eaters than most would think )

I am normally pretty good in person guessing weights, been lucky enough to be about tagging and weight a LOT of bears over the yrs and I am normally within about 50 lbs 80% of the time, which IMO is pretty darn good
and I been lucky enough at my place to manage to read a few LIVE bears ear tags and get info on recent trappings and get to guess then KNOW what they were when tagged
but there super hard animals to really judge weight and at times even size
most folks really think a bear is a LOT larger than they really are
an example is, I had a friend at my place a few weeks ago, 25+ yrs deer hunter and outdoorsman
I had a smaller, sub 100 lb bear eating in my food plot about 75 yards from us we watched it for about 45 minutes and my buddy swore it was a 250+ lb bear
truth be told, it was last yrs cub and no where near that
and this was from a guy that has been hunting and seen many bears over the yrs
there very tricky, as like humans, they come in many different size frames, some are very long, some tall, some wide
one thing I will tell you is when you SEE a REAL big one, 500+lbs up close, you have NO doubt its a BIG one LOL
bears are something MOST folks don;'t see often or LONG when they do get to see one and it makes for a LOT of GUESSING and exaggerating on size
sorry for getting long here, just trying to explain soem things to new folks that might read this

I wish I could upload pic's here, as I have many great bear pic's that show the same bear from many angles that make it look many different sizes, but since the new update to thsi site I cannot get pic's to upload, keeps saying upload failed and NO reason given?so cannot do so, and I ain;t very tech savvy to figure it out?
so sorry
but again nice pic's