HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ballistic Precision Chronograph
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Big Uncle - I bought the Magnetospeed Sporter instead of the V3 because I already had the other chrony’s and just wanted another option for “behind the firing line” set up.

If I only had ONE chronograph, it wouldn’t be a Magnetospeed, as they don’t work for archery, but if a guy just wants one for rifles, they’re great, and if I only had one chronograph for firearms, it would be a V3. The V3 is far more versatile for mounting - I can’t put my Sporter on a pistol or on an AR with a long handguard, whereas the V3 could be. I don’t use my chrono’s to store multiple strings or do my SD or ES math for me, and my iPhone X doesn’t accept the XFER gear, so that’s not a realizable advantage for the V3 to me. It is for some guys - I know some guys like to shoot multiple strings, then go home and analyze the data later. The build on the V3 is a LOT better than the Sporter, aluminum body on the V3 vs. cheap plastic for the Sporter, and the V3 mounting set up is much better. If I didn’t have the LabRadar, I would have bought the V3. The interface is a lot better in the V3, the Sporter head unit controls are not at all intuitive - I have to keep the instructions on hand every time I use it, lest I forget how to clear and initialize it.

I’m also expecting to shoot the tip off of my Sporter someday, just as I’m expecting to shoot my shoot-thru chrony’s someday. Hasn’t happened to me yet, but as much as I use them, I expect it’s statistically inevitable to mess up eventually. Can’t happen with a LabRadar, but it’s also WAY more expensive than a guy needs.

One AWESOME feature of the Magnetospeeds, most guys won’t use, is the ability to move among targets. I can dial off my corrections for the POI shift, then shoot multi-target strings with the bayonet mounted. Can’t do that with a LabRadar or any shoot-through model.