HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a rookie...?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 08:13 PM
REM_7600
Fork Horn

DavidG has it right! Process your own. I have a partial unedited video somewhere we wanted to do a field to freezer. We almost got there! We showed tracking, dressing, Disassembly, properly caring for the meat as well as cutting into MY favorite - thick steaks with the remainder going to the burger bowl. I've never invested in a sausage maker, I have a kitchenaid grinder/bread mixing machine from the 70's and easily process deer, elk, and even moose.

Once ground (I mix 1-5 with pork/bacon), adds enough to not cook with grease. A great addition is a relatively cheap burger press! For sausage make a very thin patty, for burger, make em whatever thickness you're comfy with! Fennel is a great addition in sausage (use sparingly). Bacon ends, sometimes available in bulk are awesome to do you're final grind with.

BLEED WELL & DRESS THE ANIMAL IMMEDIATELY AFTER KILL, SKIN ASAP,DISASSEMBLE, REFRIGERATE MAJOR PARTS 1-4 days AS YOU LIKE, CUT, PACKAGE, ENJOY A JOB WELL DONE!

That's my $.02

REM7600

PS: I usually refrigerate major parts "bone out" for 2-3 days. Then when freezing, vacuum sealer is the only way to store meat well.

Last edited by REM_7600; 04-24-2018 at 08:20 PM.