HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 1 The Rejects
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 09:14 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Things went from good to great for me since my last post. Killed bird number 2 for MO on Monday morning. He won't up my score but nice to fill both tags.

Bird #1. 21 lbs, 10" beard, 7/8" spurs

Bird #2 18 lbs, 10' beard, 3/4" spurs

Bird number 1 was killed on a rainy morning. Not a gobble until after fly down. I was working a couple birds and had 2 come out of no where across a big field. They never made a peep until they were at 30 yards. Of course I wasn't expecting them from there so they knew something wasn't right and the lead bird jumped and flew on the ridge. The other bird didn't know what happened and ran back across the field and started gobbling. I called and he answered. The gobbler circled the field and came on the ridge with me. So at this point I have the 2 I was working on the ridge and the bird that flew on my left and the other bird on my right. I decide to drop down the ridge thinking 1 of these birds will fire back up in 30 min to an hour. I take 3 steps and one gobbles. I just set up and call and he answers me. 30 seconds later I see his head coming through the timber.

Bird #2 I was asked to go with a buddy hunting on a new piece of property that I was told held some birds. I chose our set up on what little details he gave me. We had a couple birds gobbling about 100 yards up the ridge. The first hen pitched off and hit 200 yards from us in the field, the 2nd hen pitched about 80 yards directly in front of us. The 3rd bird was one of the gobblers. He saw the decoy and hooked right into us at 20 yards. My buddy missed and I killed him running off.

I am scheduled to leave May 3rd for a NE hunt. Good luck!
Attached Images