HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buckshot
Thread: Buckshot
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 05:01 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
In close quarters, according to the number of buck shot, it would absolutely put the hurt on a hog. Inside of 30 feet, according to the shotgun choke, it shouldn't be spread out all that much yet so all the pellets will be hitting. If I had my druthers, I really wouldn't mind having a 00 buck load looking at a big boar bayed up ready to tear my calf out 20 feet away.
I guess an ounce of lead is pretty much an ounce of lead before the shot gets the distance to spread much.

European Boar will generally slash at your legs on the way by and/or maybe circle close in slashing.

The big Sows are the ones that give me the willies. They come in head back, mouth wide open, crotch high and have a bone crushing bite.

I had a buddy looking for a wounded Boar get chewed on a bit. There were three hunters in a group when the Boar came after him. He was afraid to shoot thinking he might hit another hunter as the Boar circled in close chewing/slashed on his legs. He dropped his rifle and went for his knife and eventually finished of the Boar. He was wearing leather paints so he wasn't cut, but his legs looked like he'd been in an industrial accident, swollen black and blue. That Boar had been hit by a brush Hog and was pretty torn up, but still had a lot fight left in him.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-24-2018 at 05:15 AM.