HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buckshot
Thread: Buckshot
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 08:50 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Default Buckshot

Didn't know which forum topic to put this in.

A guy on another forum was talking about using Buckshot on Hogs in close quarters, my guess is he meant brush hunting. He said he was going to use a 6.8 mm on the hunt and switch to Buckshot in the brush?

I've used Buckshot on Fox and was underwhelmed. I've never tried it on Deer or Hogs. Some people swear by Buckshot, my feeling has always been if it won't reliably knock down a Fox. it is unlikely to knock down a Hog. I've had much better results with Goose loads on Fox than Buckshot. I've always used slugs for Hogs.

Buckshot IMO isn't all that, nothing like what is portrayed in the movies. I really can't picture taking a moderately sized Hog down with Buckshot at any distance over say 10-15 yards, even at close quarters it would likely be iffy IMO.

I picture a Hog shot with Buckshot to either head for the thickest most impenetrable brush it can find or head for the hills and likely be a mile away very quickly.

Maybe a Foxes fur messes with penetration with Buckshot, darned if I know? All I really know for sure is I've lost confidence in Buckshot.