HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a new all around Shotgun
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 07:03 AM
kellyguinn
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Strut&Rut
Kelly -

I seem to recall that you do a lot of run&gun type turkey hunting - if so, make sure you carefully consider the weights of a 12ga semiauto (I'm just assuming you're looking at 12ga because of the waterfowl comment). I know quite a few older guys who have moved from 12ga pump to 20ga semiautos for turkeys, and they say even that 1/2 pound and reduced recoil makes a big difference. However, I'm not sure I'd want a 20ga for Canadian geese.

A newer stock may be your best option - or have you considered a new pump? If you like the SBE then maybe a new Nova is the next step...

I thought about the Nova as I have a friend that has one and has no complaints at all. I think that after much consideration I will just make a dedicated turkey rig and then combine all the other hunting into a second gun. The weight really of the 835 really hasn't bothered me while turkey hunting. It's just the pain of trying gain control again to get a follow up shot if needed because of the muzzle rise. If replacing the stock will do it then I may be leaning that way.

I own an older Rem 870, older Rem 1100 and a Saiga 12 that I will consider selling all except the 870 (wife uses it) to get the SBE in the future.