HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's Your Strangest Hunt?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 06:25 AM
Uncle Nicky
Fork Horn

Strangest was a few years ago. I was hunting in Georgia, with another guy. The buddy wanted to sleep in a little, so I headed out in the dark, not much happening that morning. My buddy calls me about 9:00 and says he is pulling into the big field (I am in the woods), and he sees a big strutter and doesn't want to bump him. I told him I'll come to the field edge and check it out. When I get to the field, I see the bird about 350 yards away, in the middle of the field (BIG agriculture field). After quite a while, we both figured the bird wasn't going anywhere, so we decided we had to make something happen. My buddy (mostly a deer and pheasant hunter) said he would try making a push on gobbler, and maybe drive it to me. I SERIOUSLY had my doubts (this is turkey hunting, not pheasant hunting, right???), but I said sure, give it a try. Anyway, I'll be darned, but instead of flying off or running for the closest field edge, the bird stayed about 100 yards in front of him, at a slow trot. When the bird was within 100 yards, I was thinking, " this may just happen", and by the time the bird was at 35 the safety was off and I was already mentally filling the tag. I still have a hard time believing we made a successful "push" on a gobbler, but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction!
Attached Images