HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's Your Strangest Hunt?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 01:04 PM
Bucknwfl
Spike

Default Field bird

Me and a buddy were hunting some birds that were flying down in a big flat plowed field every morning in a different place. The field was about 300 acres and you could see every inch from anywhere in the field. Birds fly down with hens about 409 yards from us and we work them for a while but they don’t move much just strut with the hens. After a few hours the hens start to leave and one of the gobblers starts to drift down the field to us strutting the whole way. I held my gun up for probably 20 minutes and by the time he was 30 yards I was tired. I cluck to get him out of a strut but no luck. I am sure I can kill him but I wobbled and shot a little low and bird goes over but gets up and flies off. I nearly puked in my head net. We sit tight cause birds are still in the field and I am still trying to gather up my tears and sick stomach. 20 - 30 minutes go by turkeys leave I says we might as well go. buddy says hey there is your turkey I say where and am looking everywhere but nothing. He says up there and sure enough about 100 ft above the field he is flying in circles like a duck circling a pond. He slowly get lower and lower and then falls out of the sky like a heart shot dove and bounces off the ground and I am so happy and the high fives started. We gather up our stuff and look once again to make sure no birds are back in the field and low and behold the gobbler is back on his feet in the middle of the field staggering like a drunk man headed to the other side. I decide to sprint to him about 300 yards or so then stopped to shoot him properly again about 40 yards. 11 1/2 bears and 1 1/2 spurs toughest bird I ever killed as least that I found. I learned a lot about turkeys that day

Thanks

Buck