HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Keeping your feet warm.
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 10:59 AM
buffybr
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by chiefks
Do NOT wear cotton socks. That is the worst thing that you could possibly do...
Now you tell me! All I own or have ever worn is white cotton socks.

Where was this advice 50 years ago for the 10 years that I was a ski instructor or a professional ski patrolman at several of Colorado ski areas where I had to spend most of 6 to 7 days a week out on the snow in down to -30* F temperatures. At the end of many days I would take my feet out of my boots and the single pair of my cotton socks would be steaming.

Or all of the years that I used my horses to pack my elk hunting camps back into the Montana wildernesses with up to 3 feet of snow and temperatures down to -20 degrees...

Or the November day when I shot my mountain goat. It was -15* F when I left my truck and started hiking up the mountain, and the snow was crotch deep on the top of the mountain where I shot that billy.

Or when I hunted Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou and Musk ox in the Canadian arctic.

And on all of those hunts, and many others, I only wore one pair of cotton socks inside a pair of less than $100 Lacrosse pacs.

I must be very lucky because I can't ever remember having cold feet. Or maybe I just can't remember.