HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lehigh Spear -- Another Look
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 02:11 PM
BarnesAddict
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Those numbers dont look right either. But according to those the bullet is limited if it works. Just like you saw in rons test, it didnt work at all at 1200fps. But it still would kill whatever it goes thru. Just not what im looking for in any bullet. No limitations at all with the MZ Expander. Just a much better ML bullet obviously!!
Numbers, even if off 100fps, still indicate the bullet will perform.

Ron's test........ YES, I seen Ron's test using 50gV and at approximately 1200fps.

Nobody hunts with 50gV of BH209, except maybe children.

However, if you use the correct numbers and place them into a ballistics program, you WILL identify at what distance a NORMAL HUNTING CHARGE will back down to 1200fps. So within the general muzzleloader hunting ranges, it clearly remains above minimum.

I dare say I've shot more Barnes TMZ, TEZ and Expanders than 99% of muzzleloader shooters or hunters, and, harvested more whitetail from 8' to over 250yds. Never lost an animal, never had long tracking jobs.

The problem with many, not all, of these stories, all relates back to poor shot placement. I've helped track so many deer that the hunter was just POSITIVE he put the bullet "right through the boiler room", only to end up finding the deer had actually been gut shot. Had others claim that the shot was perfectly behind the shoulder, only to find that they hit the animal under the spine and never touched vital organs. "Knocked him right on his ask, but he got up before I could reload". Shot placement is everything with any bullet.