HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lehigh Spear -- Another Look
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Grouse45
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Well here we go again......... Agreed, the Expander works.

Grouse45, I'll just tell you though, that your opinion of how a Barnes TEZ or TMZ performs is just... well... kind of incorrect.

As with the highest majority of bullets, they have a minimum velocity to function properly, which according to Barnes, that's approximately 1,100fps with the TEZ or TMZ. So unless a hunter is shooting a squib charge, the bullets should both function extremely well at most shooter's hunting distances (100yds or less) with 100-120grs of about anything.

I've shot semi loads of whitetail with both the TMZ and TEZ bullets and for some reason, never had the same experience as you state.
That includes the use of BP, Pyrodex, T7 and BH209.
I've taken many whitetail at 200 - 250yds+ using BH209 at charges of 110grs volume with both bullets. Never had a long tracking job from a pencil through......

Shot placement is ALWAYS the key factor. If someone likes taking high shots, or gut shots, well count on some tracking. However if you put one through the top of the heart, bottom of the lungs, you're tracking job will be very short, if at all.

The Barnes TEZ would be my bullet of choice for hunting any North American game animal from my rifle. The only reason I'm not shooting them today is I can't get them to group with this rifle at long range.
This is my opinion only. Not enough testing on these