HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Understanding Whitetails
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Buschtc01
Spike

Default Understanding Whitetails

Hello Forum, this is my first post and I’m coming to you with some questions, I own 20 acres of private property, about 16 years ago a beautiful 12 pointer was taken right from the center of this property. Over the last 15 years my family has Hunted this property quite a bit with no success. Over the last two years we have not hunted it very much, are working on making a food plot (planted a 1 acre one but did not come in very well). We put food down for them in the winter and over the summer until we plant the food plot. Now we have a pond on the property, the food plot, and bedding covers. This year I hunted my stand 4 times. Each time seeing a deer which I can say has never happened in my 8 years of hunting this with my father. I saw 2 6 pointers, 1 8 pointer, and what we call a unicorn because he only had one horn. Now we left our cameras up all year and I just check them yesterday. And I have an amazing amount of pictures. Every single deer has horns, and there some very nice 8 pointers in these pictures. Ones we did not get on camera during the season. And a lot of deer we may have. Hard to confirm( if someone has a tip on how to confirm deer with similar racks on camera would be awesome). But now that these deer are here, are they here to stay, did we finally revitalize the land, and if so, can we hunt it again or do we have to continue to hunt it very sporadically still and hunt public land more. Or can we commite to this area and go for the 2 trophies we have on camera now, and how do we keep them there, while plowing and planting this food plot again without pushing them out. Sorry for the long post and any fedback is appreciated. Thank got in advance. Also just wanted to add, have no pictures of these deer alone, every time I see one deer there are multiple and they are together. I bachelor groups I’d imagine, and you have more than one bachelor group on an area of land??

Last edited by Buschtc01; 02-19-2018 at 09:31 AM.