HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First hog with night vision and first 2 hogs with new Glock 40 MOS 10mm
Old 02-02-2018, 05:43 PM
Big Bend Brian
Spike

Default First hog with night vision and first 2 hogs with new Glock 40 MOS 10mm

It’s been too long since I’ve last posted…….

The water has now gotten too cold to shark tooth dive (47degrees F) so I took a stand with two new pig toys: a new self-built 300 BlackOut pistol (10.5 “ barrel) with a ATN X-Sight II digital night vision scope anda brand new Glock 40 MOS 10mm with a Vortex Venom red dot.

Megalodon shark teeth (2.6 – 26 million years old)

Walking to a covered blind early in the morning (forecastedfor rain) I jumped a large animal right in front of me and with the nightvision already turned on I could see it was a large boar hog. It didn’t quiteknow what I was although I could tell it was about to vamoose. A quick headshot at 25 meters and it dropped. It happened too quickly to turn on the videobut it’s already a great early morning!!

First hog with night vision and my new 300 Black Out pistol
~110 lb boar

Getting into the blind I hung out waiting for sunrise. Rightbefore sunrise three more hogs came out. I started the video and as I settledon a head shot and pulled the trigger on the 300 Black Out all I heard was a CLICK.Not sure what was up with that I ejected the round and tried it again. At thispoint the largest hog, a sow was getting a little nervous and backed off.Pulling the trigger again all I heard was CLICK. What the FRIG!! Iejected another round and get back on the largest hog which at this point is evenmore nervous. CLICK.

With that I put the rifle down and pulled out my new GLOCK40 that I had fortuitously just sighted in the night before! The largest pig, asow had come back in but was a little jittery. Having had the red dot Venom seton auto it was still too bright in the dark so I had to change it to the manualsetting to put it on the lowest setting. Waiting for a broadside shot and aimingat the shoulder she dropped and it looked like it was a DRT shot. At this pointthe other two piggies took off running and I took two shots at them but didn’tconnect. Then all of a sudden the dropped sow starts lunging forward and I tooktwo shots before she made it to the water and swam off.

Not sure what to make of that I gave it an hour and brokedown the 300 Black Out to discover my buffer spring had unseated due to a nottight-enough castle nut.
DUH!!

Walking out I found where the sow dropped and then startedlunging. No blood but I followed it 10 yards through the mud to the water whereit swam off. At this point I circled where she went into the water and sawanother hog peering out of the palmettoes. I dropped that smaller hog with ahead shot at 20 yards. Walking towards it I could see buried in the thickpalmettoes was the dead sow. She had gone about 25 yards from where she wasfirst hit.

First hog with the new Glock 40

Broke both front legs but the Sig Sauer 180 gr FMJ round leftonly a small hole (entrance and exit).
You can see the small entrance hole.

First hogs with my new Glock 40

3 lil piggies

With the rain starting to pick up I headed to the skinningpole and had a nice rainbow to end my morning.

Nice ending of the morning (not for the piggies however)

I really like this 10mm!!
Hoo Yah!!

Brian