HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Off Topic: How Much Meat On That Deer?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 11:25 AM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Nice job Semi!... Congrats!

I haven't been on here much lately so I just noticed your thread. Had this been a survey I would have said 40-50 lbs. depending on how you butcher and how the animal was shot. I say this because I've been butchering our deer (and some for family/friends) for so many years I can just about guesstimate from the hanging dressed weight of my deer what I'm going to get out of it. Recently I've been writing down the hanging weight and weighing all my cuts, ground meat, etc. before wrapping and writing that down so I can tally it all up when the job is done.
I don't like bone marrow or bone dust on my meat either so nothing is saw cut, the only thing I use my saw for is removing the head, legs, and breaking down the carcass for disposal.
I do all of my cuts with various knives that I keep sharp with both steels and a strop (I hate working with a dull knife). And like you, I prefer to trim my meat well removing as much fat, gristle, and silverskin as possible. I usually strive to get a 35-40% yield.

The buck I killed this year weighed 130 dressed and I ended up with 49 lbs. or about 38% of hanging weight in boneless edible cuts and ground meat.
Backstrap - 5 lb 12 oz
Inner loin - 1lb 6 oz
Ground meat - 13 lb 10 oz
Hot Dog meat - 17 lb 4 oz
Roasts, steaks, etc - 11 lb
By comparison, the buck I shot last year weighed 156 and I ended up with 62.5 lbs or 40% yield from that one.

BPS