HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Last Elk
Thread: Last Elk
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 01:42 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default Last Elk

Well after nearly a year hiatus, I have returned. Lots has happened .... retired, cardio issues (fixed), built a new home and have moved (for the last time except to cemetery) and squeezed in one last elk hunt with my old guide buddy. Got lucky and bagged a big bodied, old 6x6 bull. My guide said the largest he has seen killed on that property in his 28 years of guiding there. Another gude agreed. Definitely a heck of a body. Fun hunt in that the stalk was approximately 2 miles up to about 8500'. The A-Fib issue held off. Took my time. Not a bad climb .... about 1500' up ledge to the top of a mesa. Rocky but not too bad. Bull and his cows were still there. Cows bedded for the most part. Thought two had busted us. Bull working his herd. We saw 2 younger 6X6's nearby. May have helped distract the herd bull, but never saw them near the cows. Were able to use the cedars, terrain and a 15-20 mph NW wind to slip to within about 300 yards from where he was last spotted. Ran out of cover so waited behind the last cedar. After about 20 minutes, spotted antler tips rising up out of the draw. Took my shot when he came to within about 250 ---- amen for shooting stick! He bolted and disappeared, but made it only about 75 yards ..... 300 Win. Mag. , 180 gr. Partition .... double lung pass through. Paused to thank him for his life and then got to work. This will be my last run. At 69, think I done good. I am blessed beyond deserving. Great guide ... and a good time. I'll miss it.