HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about a new rifle
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 06:45 PM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

Default Thinking about a new rifle

As I'm sure most of you people know the old man was a pretty involved collector of BPCR's but one he never had, that I know of anyway, was one in .40-65. I gave most of his BPCR's to my brothers and a couple to my sister. But a certain couple of itches have been assaulting me of late. One is getting into the inline ML crowd and the other is getting into silhouette BPCR shooting. One style rifle I am looking seriously at is the Browning 1885 highwall. Another is a Pedersoli 1874 sharps. Either is going to be a pretty penny I know. The Pedersoli has double set triggers and if I remember correctly the Browning 1885 trigger was acceptable with some working. This isn't for hunting but just feeling that little itch for competition again so a really good trigger will be paramount.

Now before some of you pop up saying why not a .45-70 or .45-90, the simple answer is, they bore me. Those are the most common at BPCR shoots. The old man had several and cracking 200 yard sil chickens was boringly easy with just about every one of them. I want something that I will have to really work with my skills to 500 yards.

I've shot several Pedersoli repro's in various cartridges but I barely remember shooting an 1885 only once a lot of years ago and not even sure I remember what cartridge. Anyone with experience in them here?