HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - florida turkey quota draw
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 06:18 AM
shemp
Spike

"Also is there anywhere I can see draw odds and harvest data for each wma"
No. They will probably never divulge this information

Sad but true. I'm pretty sure they also report harvest data in terms of 100% effort (meaning it assumes 30 of 30 permit holders show up and hunt all 4 days) WHICH in my experience is NEVER the case.

Off hand I can tell you the fewer quota permits per hunt, and the fewer hunts, the more difficult the draw. Seems obvious, but you can expect some of the places with 2 or 3 hunts and only 5 permits to hunts to require 3 - 7 preference points.

Believe me, the system seems confusing, but it is no worse than many other states. Sounds like you do your homework and calling the state can clear a lot of the confusion.

The system has been completely a couple times in the last 5 to 10 years. IMO it has become more difficult to get drawn especially for opening day anywhere good, but it has also cut down on a lot of abuses by people bent on exploiting loopholes...that said, scouting is key no matter where you hunt, and FL turkyes, at least the ones I' hunt with are between 27 degrees north and 29 degrees north don't gobble worth a darn after flydown or if they do you have to be within a couple hundred yards to hear them. Land access can be tough even if you live close in terms of scouting. PM me if you'd like...I hunt just about all on public and pretty much all in FL